good-bye summer

I had planned to do a good-bye summer post but not the one I am writing. We had a weekend planned of some end of the summer family things but Saturday morning I got a phone call and our plans went out the window.

Saturday morning my grandfather passed away. We were honored with hosting Grandpa's 98th birthday here in July. Sadly, he went downhill health wise quickly after that. He was admitted to the hospital Friday and passed away early the next morning.



Our weekend has consisted of hunting down my parents on their vacation and breaking the news to my dad; booking flights for relatives and getting together with family to plan a memorial service.

On the bright side, when Grandma passed away 5yrs ago, we all thought Grandpa would die of a broken heart. He faltered a few years ago, and yet he held on. I feel incredibly blessed with the memories my Grandparents have left me with. And more importantly, that our boys will always remember their great-grandparents.

Sadly, I now have no living Grandparents. In the past 5 years we have also lost a set of Jim's Grandparents less than 2 yrs apart.

But life continues. And next week, we will celebrate the 98 years my Grandfather lived and loved. I think of what he had seen in his lifetime and it boggles me.

So this weekend we say goodbye to summer, and to a very well loved Grandpa.

Right now the pool is draining; it is pouring out. I added a heavier quilt to our bed last night and socks were brought out when we all got dressed this morning. It feels like summer has left us for the year.



I was planning on showing this little quiltie as my Quilt Monday post but I am still trying to finish it. I think it was a month ago I started on this lol. My plan is to finish it today or it will end up shoved into the UFO box to finish off next summer lol.

11 comments:

Andy said...

great tribute to your Grandpa Rhonda. I'm glad he was able to live a long, healthy life. Thinking of you these next few weeks.

Kimberly said...

Oh Rhonda, a lovely post. We just celebrated my grandma's 94th... what a long life these folks have lived! Thinking of you...
Kimberly

Marianne Penner said...

What a lovely tribute to your grandpa. Sorry for your loss to you and your family.

Dolores said...

How wonderful to have had your grandfather for so many years. You were truly blessed. My condolences.

Tracy.H said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. But Wow! 98 years! What a wonderful life he must have had. Big Hugs...

Mary-Kay said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your Grandpa's passing. I'm sure he will be missed. It's nice to hear that your children will remember your grandparents. My kids remember my Dad and all the great times that they shared and it's a nice feeling to know that.

Quilter Going Bananas said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa Rhonda. I bet he told a lot of great stories over the years. Great way to remember him by. Hugs

Greg said...

What a lovely tribute. I'll bet he's smiling down on you for such a warm and loving gesture. Know that my wife and I are sending prayers to you and your family at this time.

Three Birds Inspired said...

What a wonderful photo of your grandfather! My sincere condolences on your loss.

Winda aka DutchQ said...

I wish you all the happy memories, the energy and the love he had during his life. The laughter and the tears, the funny things and stories he told.... I wish you and your family everything above and so much more in the up-coming weeks...

Hugs from the Netherlands
Winda aka DutchQ

Lorie said...

Oh, Rhonda...I'm so sorry for your loss! May your happy memories carry you through this difficult time. HUGS!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...